It’s 7:20 AM here, just outside of Washington, D.C., and I’m awake a little bit early. My plan was to sleep until 7:50, so that I could be as rested as possible, but that just didn’t work out. I’m too excited.
I’ve participated in the readathon before, but not like this. I’ve participated at work and around other activities, but this will be the first time I’m devoting the entire twenty-four hours to reading. That’s right, friends: if I can, I’m not going to bed between now and 8:00 tomorrow morning. I’m just going to read books.
It’ll be easier than usual, since my husband will be out of town. Despite a profound lack of interest in college football, he and a friend are driving to State College (about four hours away) to go to the Penn State-Ohio game, so I’ll have the entire apartment to myself, no interruptions.
I have my first book picked out (Plain Perfect, by Beth Wiseman — not my usual fare, but I need to read some Christian fiction for school), and the library book sale was earlier this week so I have a big pile of new stuff to choose from. I have an audiobook prepared for showering, going to the gym for adrenaline boosts, and running to the 24-hour grocery store since I forgot to stock up on good snacks. I’m in my comfiest jammies, and I made hot chocolate.
Let the game begin!
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?East coast of the United States, so I start at 8:00 AM. I’m in Alexandria, Virginia.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I don’t have a stack, although I’m hoping that The Obsidian Chamber comes in at the library today and I can go pick it up and read it IMMEDIATELY. (I have to know about that cliffhanger, man!)
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I didn’t plan any snacks! I might order pizza or I might go to the store later. I like to keep my options open.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I’m already sleepy. This is going to be interesting.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? I don’t have to work, so this is the first time I’ll be trying to stay awake and read for the WHOLE twenty-four. Wish me luck!